09 November 2009

Job search tales: Your next job may be with your ex-employer

In this episode of "Tales from the job search trenches", Jennifer Ellis explains how companies such as Microsoft often like hiring alumni to fill new openings. Job seekers should consider their previous employers as places to work, and ex-employers often value the knowledge of the business, and organizations, that they bring to the table. Better still, the connections that alumni have with their ex-employers give them a distinct advantage over other applicants. Jennifer also offers tips for how alumni, who have been through lay-offs or other difficult situations, when leaving their previous employers can get in a healthy mental state before applying for new jobs.

Jennifer offers more specific help to Microsoft alumni at http://www.microsoftalumni.com/, where ex-employees can find a variety of services and community.









Powered by Podbean.com


NOTE: Please contact Michael if you are interested in being a guest on "Tales from the job search trenches" podcasts. Michael would like to discuss your job search strategy, and brainstorm ways to improve it with you.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree Microsoft preferes alumni to recruit back. Should you be a alumni member to access the alumni website ?? My point is that the registration fee is expensive,especially when you are looking for a job. Are there any discounts or atleast monthly payment...Paying for 6 months is just another way of income for the websites

    ReplyDelete
  2. the registration fee is expensive

    I concur. I have not signed up to the alumni program yet due to the fee. If I really need to buy a lot of software I may change my mind to get the company store discount, but I don't see the need to access the Alumni web site for job search purposes.

    The best way alumni can search for jobs at Microsoft is through their friends and contacts, and all Microsoft jobs are posted on the corporate web site already. Also, you can join the Microsoft Alumni group on LinkedIn even if you aren't a paid member.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the 8 months since I was laid off from an environmental engineering firm, I've been courted back briefly with contract work on one of my previous projects on a couple of occasions. And I've heard rumors that they've considered hiring me back full time...but I'm still waiting (and not holding my breath). The fact is, though, to all appearances, the company would prefer to hire back people who know their work already. It only makes sense from a business perspective, as they won't have to waste chargeable hours on training when contracts start getting approved again.

    ReplyDelete