27 July 2009

The recession and you: has the economy changed your IT spending?

If you can spare about 10 minutes to take a survey I would love to hear about how the global recession is (or is not) changing your personal or organizational IT plans.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Co3CDMHC47_2fTCyYvGNSa_2fA_3d_3d&&c=64

This is part of a study I am conducting for my own blog (http://www.surkan.com/), and I will be making the results freely available in the coming weeks. I am doing this as part of my own private research effort, and it isn't being done on the behalf of any corporations or clients. This subject (i.e. how the economy impacts IT trends) is something that has fascinated me for years while I was employed as a market researcher at Microsoft, and now that I am no longer with the firm I am free to really explore the subject.

I don’t have any fancy prizes, or incentives, to offer you for taking the survey (i.e. I don’t have any kind of research budget), but I can promise the reward that comes from helping your fellow man, and making the world a better place.

Ok, that’s a little over the top… But your contribution (through answering the survey questions) will go towards helping the tech industry understand how to better meet your needs in a changed world. If nothing else, the results of this study should prove to be an interesting read for anyone. :)

Thanks,
Michael Surkan

P.S. This survey is designed so that people who say they have an IT related job will be shown enterprise-type questions. Everyone else will see questions about technology spending in the home. You are free to take the survey twice if you are particularly ambitious, answering both the enterprise and consumer IT sections.

P.P.S. If you are are interested in publishing a link to this survey on your own blog, or publication, please e-mail me directly at msurkan at hotmail.com and I will send you a custom URL. This will allow us to track the responses from your own readers, allowing you to see how your audience responses differ from the over-all total. I am happy to share the raw results with you (excluding any private information), so you can write your own stories.